Skip to Left Navigation / Tab to View Content
Water Conservation Codes
Important Note: During a declared Water Shortage, City Council may adopt rules that are different that stated in the City’s code as per Sacramento City Code § 13.04.910.
Stage 2 Water Shortage
On January 14, 2014 Sacramento City Council adopted a Stage 2 Water Shortage Contingency plan which limited outdoor watering.
- Addresses ending in odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, or 9) may water on Tuesdays and Saturdays ONLY, before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- Addresses ending in even numbers (0, 2, 4, 6, or 8) may water on Wednesdays and Sundays ONLY, before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- No watering is permitted on Mondays, Thursdays or Fridays. Overwatering is prohibited.
- Car washing is allowed on your watering day and hoses are required to have an automatic shut-off nozzle.
- Fines for violation of the City’s water conservation codes are doubled during the declared Water Shortage.
The City’s Water Conservation Code is Sacramento City Code § 13.04 Article XI
Water Conservation Ordinance (effective December 9, 2009)
- Residents and Businesses may water and wash vehicles on either Saturday or Sunday at their discretion during winter months (after daylight savings time ends).
- During dry months (beginning when daylight savings time begins), residents and businesses are restricted to watering before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- Residents or Businesses that utilize drip irrigation are exempt from watering restrictions during winter and dry month watering schedules.
- Residents and Businesses may only utilize the "Water Conservation Education Workshop" to waive a fine every 24 months.
- Owners of properties will be responsible for violations, whether or not they or their tenant committed a violation.